Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default Water leak...at what point do I need a professional cleanup restoration?

In article OfS8h.2833$JQ.550@trnddc06, "jaynews" wrote:
I live in a condo. There is a leak on the side of my unit in which water
seeps in underneath the baseboard near a window corner and the hardwood
floor gets wet. The leak happens in wind-driven conditions when water
splashes against the side of the building. I replaced the window seals and
nothing is coming in through the window itself when it happens. The
association's response so far has been to caulked some places outside where
the window frame meets the siding.

If this isn't already documented, you need to address that
right away. Write a letter to the HOA and management company.
Summarise what has been done so far and make it clear that
the leak is still unresolved. Formally ask them to detail
the actions they plan to understake.

Do this right away to protect yourself if things get
expensive and nasty down the road.

Questions:

1) If the leak happens again, what should the condo association's next step
be to protect my unit and the building?

2) If it keeps happening again, then at what point do I need to call in a
pro to deal with potential mold and damage happening behind the drywall?

3) At what point do I have the right to insist that the association pay for
professional cleanup and restoration? I live in NJ.

You need to spend some time reading your HOA's rules -- every
HOA is different. You may need to clue up on some of the
applicable NJ law as well.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |