Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Why both grout and mortar?

GreatArtist wrote:

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Why do you want to avoid grout. Do you think you will save some money?
It will not be much.

Well I had to remove 4 tiles a few inches above the kitchen sink to get
at the pipes behind the faucet. Then I used thinset mortar to put them
back. So it's only 4 tiles and I think they pretty much stay dry all
the time. The reason I don't want to use grout is because it has those
glass particles that can injure your lungs and eyes. The thinset mortar
also has the same glass particles and it was an ordeal going through
the safety precautions to avoid hurting myself.

You are confusing silica with glass. There is a danger from
silica dust if you inhale enough of it. Working with enough
grout for 4 tiles is not going to come close to causing any
damage to you. It is somewhat like asbestos. It is dangerous
to be exposed to it in large quantities or for long periods.

Silica is one of the most common minerals on earth. Wear a
dust mask and don't worry about it.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.