Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Steve is offline

Default Heil oil furnace question?

Hello,
I've searched the archives for my problem with my Heil furnace but
couldn't find anything so here goes.

My furnace is a 1978 vintage system. It is an oil fed / forced air
system. I have been having a problem with it shutting down on its own.
I've narrowed the problem to it becoming air locked and starving for
fuel. All I have to do is open the pet cock drain, push the reset
button and let it run into a pan until clear oil flows and close the
pet cock and it then runs fine. This has been happening several times
beginning last winter and now has happened just recently.

Things I have done or checked:
a) Replace the oil filter
b) Check the breather pipe for blockage on the oil storage tank
c) Replace the nozzle
d) Replace the flame sensor
e) Tighten all fittings
f) The tank is over half full

Any other ideas or suggestions? The furnace seems to run fine
otherwise.

Thanks,
Steve