Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tankless in series with Traditional Water Heater?

cm wrote:
Go tankless.

AND HAVE TROUBLES! Low flow no hot water, power failure no hot water,
need to upgrade power or gas lines and perhaps still no be happy

Another option is a tempering valve.

you set the existing hot water tank to HOT and install a tempering
valve at the outlet.

it mixes hot with cold water so you cant get scalded. acts like a
larger hot water tank.

a tankless before your hot water tank will help, low flow doesnt matter
since you only need the extra capacity during high flow periods.

at low flow times the existing hot water tank can easily keep up with
demands

I ended up buying a high BTU tank. its 50 gallons at 75,000 BTU. This
solved my running out of hot water trouble.

I always shower before laundry but then we have 2 washing machines, so
demands can get high........