Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default Mower tries yanking rope back in GAS LAWN MOWER TAKES 100 PULLS TO TURN OVER

Nate Nagel wrote:
David Combs wrote:
In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

In the automotive world to "turn over" is to rotate the crankshaft.
So, if it doesn't turn over in 100 pulls, you have a problem with the
recoil mechanism. Different brands have different styles of mechanism.

^^^^^^

How about take it to a mower repair shop?

"Recoil":

Mine starts ok (well, once I had to prime with that ether-or-whatever-its-called
spray-can stuff), but sometimes I'm halfway through a "rope pull" and
the machine suddenly tries to yank the rope back into the machine.

It yanks back HARD!

Is this the kind of "recoil" you mentioned?

Any idea what might be causing this PITA action?

Thanks

David

yes, it is trying to "run" backwards, and the recoil/overrun
clutch/whatever you want to call it only works in the forward direction.
Probably due to ignition timing being a little advanced. Not sure how
that could have happened however as on most lawnmower engines timing is
fixed by the position of the magnets on the flywheel, and if the little
key shears (as it does when you hit a big freakin' rock) it will retard
the timing, not advance it.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Flywheel key shear from stopping the engine suddenly advances the
timing.

Dave