Posted to alt.home.repair
DIMwit DIMwit is offline

Default wire burns up one inch before socket connector

Several years ago I had the same problem with a HD Hampton bay fixture and I
corresponded with UL Labs on it and sent them photos of the porcelain
sockets and the burnt wires.. The bulbs I had installed never exceeded the
wattage rating on the fixture per socket or total. UL seemed indifferent. I
guess Home Depot would have given me new lamp sockets if I pushed it, but I
never did.

Bring it back to HD and ask them "this is UL listed?"

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
I have a Hampton Bay light hanging light fixture in my dining room that
has been installed for about 2 years. One night while the fixture was
on, we heard a pop and the light went out. Thinking it was just a bulb,
I replaced it and light never came on. took fixture apart and
discovered one of the wires was burnt about an inch before the
connection to the porcelain light socket. Replaced the wire and light
still did not work. I then replaced the dimmer switch which also burnt
out. After replacing the dimmer, light worked for about a half-hour
before the wire burned again. Rpleaced the wire for third time and
reduced wattage of the light bulb from 100 watts to 75 watts - same
problem. help!

Bad socket? Too much internal resistance?

cheers
Bob