Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Sharpen drill bit on a drill press

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:42:22 GMT, Frank Campbell
wrote:

In article . com, RayV
wrote:

A while back I had to drill out a bolt and went through several bits.
Dulling them, snapping them and as a bonus I also snapped a misnamed
easy-out. Buy new bits? Nah, they cost too much for a decent set
besides I have probably 100 drill bits. I gotta figure out a way to
sharpen them.

Snip

Just do as others have said and start practicing by hand, it will come
to you and and you will never look back.

I have never understood the logic of a Drill Doctor for the average
handy man, for the price of the machine a guy can buy a lot of drill
bits.

If you know how to sharpen by hand, I'm sure you're also aware of how
long a drill bit can last, if you sharpen them when they get dull.
Throwing them out because they got dull is like tossing a chisel
because it got a nick in it, or relegating a scraper to the job of
glue-spreader as soon as the burr wears off- people do it all the
time, but it's sort of an insane practice. If you actually use up one
set of drill bits, you've more than paid for the cost of a drill
doctor in replacement bits you didn't have to buy.