Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default External cable or conduit?

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:37:34 -0000 someone who may be "Bob"
wrote this:-

I am installing an outside floodlight, to be fixed on the wall of my house.
I plan to run about 5m of twin core and earth cable from the garage,
connecting via a fused connection unit, and clip the cable to the nearest
wall. Is it ok (Wiring Regs) to do this,

There is no simplistic answer to this.

Twin and earth is susceptible to direct sunlight and cold, both of
which do nasty things to the sheath and insulation. Unless your
cable is out of the sunlight and in a place where it does not get
cold, you didn't describe the installation conditions, then it is a
good idea to enclose it in conduit. Plastic is fine in most
conditions.

Unless you are in a warm place I would suggest that this is not the
time of year to install either.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh