Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Concrete lintel decoration

lemmy wrote:
There is an ugly concrete lintel on a barn at my place - see at:
www.dthorpe.net/viewing/

I'm trying to think of a way to pretty it up a little but can only
think to paint it. Where it is, it really gets the brunt of the
weather. Would I need special paints/ undercoats for concrete for a
long lasting finish?
If anyone has a better idea than painting, I'd be delighted to hear it

Make it look like a wooden beam:
render it and put lines in it with a comb, you'll need to add knots too and
make the corners more rounded, when it's finished paint it dark
brown/black...you may need to set up something to work to at each edge, to
prevent mortar getting on the stonework, 2X2 battens or similar....I've seen
people do this and also put round pegs at various places, or fake cut
outs...visit any pub that is over 200 years old and you'll see what I mean

Who poured it BTW? - it's an abortion