Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default External cable or conduit?

In article ,
Bob wrote:
I am installing an outside floodlight, to be fixed on the wall of my
house. I plan to run about 5m of twin core and earth cable from the
garage, connecting via a fused connection unit, and clip the cable to
the nearest wall. Is it ok (Wiring Regs) to do this, or do I need to
enclose it within a plastic conduit? I seem to remember reading that
plastic conduit was not suitable in low temperatures. Cable run is
mostly horizontal, but with quite a lot of bends, so would be easier
without conduit.

Why not use cable suitable for the job in one go? Hi-Tuf

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...Tuf/index.html

is one type. It also has weatherproof glands for the cable entry to the
light. It's no more difficult to use than TW&E.

Wicks used to sell it in pre-cut lengths. I can't say I looked elsewhere.

--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.