Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Williams Tony Williams is offline

Default OT Missing Posts

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I keep missing the OP in a thread and some complete threads -
although I can see them online.

This happens with my ISP (Demon) when collecting
news via the NEWNEWS command. It offers article-
-ID's for some articles that are actually not ready
to be collected from the news spool (by about a few
minutes). Around about 1-2% of the articles in any
large download now, although it did reach over 5%
at one time. Having offered the ID of a missing
article, it will never offer it again (normally).

So the trick I have to do is to reach into the
news collecting software and set the day/date/time
of the last download back by one hour, and recollect
about an hour later. Backdating the d/d/t fools
Demon into re-offering the missing articles, which
should now have reached the spool, ready for collection.

I'm using OE6 - would that be it? Would I be better off using
Firefox to read NG's?

Dig into OE6 and see if you can edit the time
of the last download. If not find another
news/mail reader.

By the way, backdating the time of the last fetch
should not cause *all* articles to be re-fetched
because any decent newsreader will maintain its
own history of article-ID's already collected.

--
Tony Williams.