Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing pipe

"Don Young" wrote in message

"Tony Pacc" wrote in message
I want to install a new sink in the bathroom,I cant seem to remove a 1
1/2"
drain pipe that goes into the wall,I screwed the nut off but cant seem to
budge it,it's thin pipe and it pretty corroded,it seems like it should
slide
out,I tried penetrating oil but it doesn't help .Thanks

Since you said you screwed the nut off but can't remove a thin pipe, I
believe you are talking about a thin brass pipe inside a heavy galvanized
pipe. If so, you may have to squeeze it or hammer it until it collapses on
one side. A pipe wrench on the thin pipe might collapse it also. You can
sometimes drive a thin screwdriver between the pipes to free it.
Regardless of how you do it, just destroy the inner pipe and try not to
damage the outer one.

Chuckle. Been there, done that, got the stitches to prove it. Try wacking
the pipe end-on with a BFH. If it isn't bottomed out already, it may free it
up. Otherwise, unless you can get on the prtruding part with pump pliers to
rotate it, collapsing it is the only alternative. The wall fitting is
bronze, if you are lucky- that cleans up pretty well. If it is iron, you may
be facing some drywall work. Thin-wall tailstock like that means a slip
fitting in the wall, in most cases. Brass will gall with bronze.

aem sends....