Posted to alt.home.repair
aspasia aspasia is offline

Default my poor garbage disposal

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:28:48 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 18:40:12 -0800, aspasia wrote:

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:58:17 -0500, mm
wrote:

[...]

And I'd like to put in my 2 cents' worth about not putting stuff other
than water down the kitchen drain. Garbage disposals are more problems
than they're worth - all that food doesn't get ground up finely enough
and if you have any kind of low spot or belly in your sewer line, it
lays there, hardens and blocks the drain. Since I stopped using my
garbage disposal two years ago, I haven't had to have the plumber out
to auger the line

[...]

Hear. hear! I hardly use mine at all. Table scraps and veg peels,
etc. (non-meat or fat) go into the compost jar. Meat, fat, bones go
in the trash. Only thing that goes down the disposal is lemon rinds
for disinfecting.

Am still recovering from a big Thanksgiving dinner I threw 'n' years
ago, when, night before dinner, all preparations on track, I put
CELERY down the disposal! Even as I did it, a dull bell tolled in the
back of my mind. Too bad it wasn't in the front of my mind. Whole
story would make a strong man cry.. I got through the dinner next
day somehow, with a stopped-up sink... whatta nightmare!

If you don't use the thing, why not take it out entirely?

See above - I "hardly"use it except for lemon rinds, but want it
available when & if needed for something else.

Why go to the trouble & expense of removing it?