Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

Default Sharpen drill bit on a drill press

"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message
RayV wrote:

Unless I'm missing something doing it that way would give me

the same
results as the grinder jig and probably the DD too.

After about the third snapped drill bit I think you'll give up

on this
idea. Moreover, as another poster has mentioned, you will be

grinding a
cone and a cone can't cut. Period. Not at all.

So let's get you trained to sharpen drill bits by hand so you

can amaze
your friends, confound your enemies and have a lifetime supply

of sharp
drill bits at your beck and call.

snip excellent explanation of drill bit sharpening

When I first entered the machine trades I was given a thread

gage and
100# or so of mixed bolts to sort. I can tell metric from

English and
the various sizes and thread in each group by sight to this day

.... and
I haven't worked as a machinist for nearly 10 years.

Right after that I was given about the same weight in dulled

drill bits
to sharpen ... and one good drill bit to copy. Total

instruction
consisted of "Hold the drill bit about like this ... move it in

an arc
about like this. Make it look like the good one. There ya go.

Have at
it. Let me know when you think you've got the hang of it."

So practice, practice, practice. And let us know when you think

you've
got the hang of it. ;-)

Bill

Whoa! Talk about 'Deja Vu', just had a major flash-back to my
machinist apprenticeship at the ship yard many years ago after
reading this.

Same, same, 'sort the bolts', 'sharpen the drill bits', followed
by "This here's a properly sharpened 1/2" HSS straight cut tool
bit for that engine lathe over there. Here's a bucket of dull
ones, make 'em sharp."

Don't do much machine work these days, but I don't buy a lot of
replacement drill bits either! ;^))

Len