Posted to alt.home.repair
Butch Haynes Butch Haynes is offline

Default Replacing a smoke alarm

"Myrna" wrote in message
oups.com...
In our home there are 3 smoke alarms, all wired into the house wiring.
All are the same age (about 22 yrs). There's a high pitched noise
coming from one of them.

In a recent discussion, one guy told me to replace all of them, not
just the one. He said new ones aren't compatible with the new ones. I
didn't ask him what he meant about being compatible.

So, can anyone tell me what this means? Do I have to replace all 3?

Thanks,
Myrna

Fire departments recommend using battery operated ones that are independent
of house current and could be compromised in a fire.