Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default Sharpen drill bit on a drill press

"Toller" wrote in
news
My first job involved drilling little holes into stainless steel. The
drill didn't stay sharp very long, so my first skill was to learn to
sharpen them on a grinder, getting all those little undercuts just
right. Ah, but that was 35 years since I last tried.
How does the machine do it; I thought it was just a simple grinding
wheel, but there must be more to it than that.

(Did you realize your post was between the replies? Top post, bottom
post, but don't play hide and seek, please.)

If you watch the motion of the drill bit in the demonstration, the bit
follows a down, rotate, up type motion. (It's hard to describe simply.)

Puckdropper