Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV RayV is offline

Default Sharpen drill bit on a drill press

Bill in Detroit wrote:
RayV wrote:

Unless I'm missing something doing it that way would give me the same
results as the grinder jig and probably the DD too.

After about the third snapped drill bit I think you'll give up on this
idea. Moreover, as another poster has mentioned, you will be grinding a
cone and a cone can't cut. Period. Not at all.

So let's get you trained to sharpen drill bits by hand so you can amaze
your friends, confound your enemies and have a lifetime supply of sharp
drill bits at your beck and call.

snip well written sharpening guide

Each trade has its tricks. I've been a machinist. Now I'm learning
woodworking.

Thanks for the explanation, I'll try it by hand this weekend.

So what is the DD and the grinder jig doing? Do they hold the bit at a
compound angle or is it more complicated? The grinder jig doesn't
appear to be doing more than that.