Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Sharpen drill bit on a drill press

RayV wrote:

A while back I had to drill out a bolt and went through several bits.

So buy some drill bits. They're not expensive, even for decent ones. If
you're drilling something hard, then a set of real M42 cobalt bits is
pricey but wonderful. NB - these are silver, not just a blue coating
(those are worthless).

DAGS. Keeps coming back with buy a drill doctor.

My experience: It was supposed to work except that they mis-moulded a
chuck component making it useless. UK service backup was negligible --
maybe the US is better.

I find the thing
from Lee Valley and others that holds the bit at the correct angle to
bench grinder for $10.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...072,43086&ap=1

Great gadget, so long as you set the little nose piece up accurately
and you're working with bits of 1/4" and over.

OTOH, I don't often break 1/4" and I don't even wear them out that
fast. The ones I go through are 3mm - 5mm that I've snapped in half.
Sharpening those is from hard to impossible (if there's no length left).