Posted to rec.woodworking
N Hurst N Hurst is offline

Default Solid Counter top for the DIY

J. Clarke wrote:
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 05:21:44 -0800, N Hurst wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:08:29 -0600, Patriarch wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 04:52:07 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Somebody wrote:

Sounds more like you don't want to have to compete with someone who
might underbid you.

If somebody wants to duplicate my investment in the necessary
equipment and supplies as well as the additional manpower investment
in field in what the manufacturer appears to consider mandatory
training of my personnel (Or is that just another way of defining an
apprentice program?), they are welcome to do it.

After making that investment, they are welcome to compete for business
in my market area since we will both be on relatively equal footing.

Why is it that you see the only alternatives to be competing with you or
hiring you?

How about buying a different, substitute good? Stone, quartz, high
pressure laminate, even mahogany?

bowing back out...

All fine for a variety of purposes but who said I was making a counter?

My view on it is that Corian and the like are materials that can be used
to make countertops and can also be used for other purposes, just as wood
can. But by preventing anyone but countertop installers from buying it
in anything but small precut sizes one is prevented from using it for any
purpose other than countertops.

Patriarch

--
X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt

If you need something less than a full sheet, why not visit your local
fabrication shop? I found one locally who sold me a 3' x 5' "scrap"
piece of Corian for $50. It's enough to get me through 2 largeish
projects (router table and kitchen island). At that price, if I need
another piece, I know I'll be going back for more when I need to build
something else. I've been working with my piece for a couple weeks now,
and it's really neat stuff. I still can't get over how heavy it is.

Because now I'm in the position of having to settle for whatever scrap he
has on hand instead of buying what I want.

If you want to make something else that matches your kitchen island and he
doesn't have another scrap of that same stuff available, then what?

Seriously, if you don't need to finish all your countertops, just call
your local fabrication shop. If you don't know one offhand, call any
kitchen counter shop and ask them who does their countertops for them.
That's what I did, and the scrap I bought was only one of a large number
of pieces just sitting outside in the elements waiting for someone to
buy it up.

Incidentally, for those of you interested in this stuff for turning,
what size is the smallest useful piece for you to use? I may have some
scraps I can give away when I'm done with these projects. I have the
1/2" kind, it's white with greyish specks in it.

-Nathan

--
X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt

I'd go down the street to another one and ask them, and so on. If none
of the locals had it, and none of the locals where I have family had
it, I'd try to find something that complemented it. If I knew the guy
well enough, I'd ask for him to let me know when someone else is
getting some counters done in that color and ask to piggyback on their
order or something.

Maybe I'm more easygoing about this kind of stuff than other people,
but I just don't see this as that big a deal.

Anyways, I was just sharing my experience in buying the stuff as an
"outsider." It wasn't difficult, the guy I worked with was friendly and
we both walked away from the deal happier than when we'd entered it. If
it's not the way you want to work, that's fine, but I'm pretty sure
that you'll be able to find something you're content with from a large
enough fab shop.

-Nathan