Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Use a Staple Gun (was: J-Shaped Wiring Nails

In article .com,
"baumgrenze" wrote:

Does anyone know of a current source for the classic, j-shaped wiring
nails that AT&T used in the 1950's?

They were used virtually exclusively for affixing GROUND WIRE, not inside
station wire.

The old, three-conductor "bridle" wire or "JK" was attached using a little
wooden cleat with a short nail at each end. I've been pulling this stuff out
and throwing it away for 25 years.

For some applications, these old nails are far less obtrusive than the
now commonly available plastic/box nail ones.

Fer pete's sake, get an Arrow T25 staple gun, some 7/16-inch staples and
develop a good stapling technique.

Those staples that you inadvertently seat a bit too deep, simply back out
(loosen one leg) with your dikes. Those that are too loose, remove and try
again.

I've stapled A LOT of the old wire, and speaker wire, and other stuff not
generally recommended to be affixed with a common, uninsulated staple and have
never had a problem. I could see an increased potential for future trouble if
affixed in an area subject to vigorous vibration but, above a drop-ceiling,
for example, no problem. Good luck.
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes