Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outlet wiring, does color matter?

In article . com,
wrote:
When wiring up normal 3-prong outlets, does it matter if I switch the
black and white wires on a single outlet in the run?

I've heard the polarity doesn't matter...but want to make sure I'm not
going to short it out or something else horrible.

Also, when wiring up lights, does it matter which color wire I run to
the switch? Most of the how-to articles show cutting the white
wire...does it make any difference?

To be safe & meet code, all 120V outlets will be wired with
the neutral (white) connected to the neutral terminal on the outlet,
indicated by the silver screw; hot (almost always black, sometimes
red) connects to the brass colored screw; and ground, which is
bare or green insulated, connects to the green grounding screw on
the outlet. (or to the grounding screw of the outlet box, if box &
outlet are designed for this; usually the case when metal boxes are
used)

If by "switch the black and white wires" you mean connect
them opposite to above description, then doing so will create a
potentially unsafe condition. OTOH if you mean to install a switch to
control that outlet, then only the black or hot wire should be
switched. The neutral or white should always connect directly to the
outlet. In either case, there is only one correct way.

The term "polarity" has to do with positive & negative, and is
important in direct current systems, e.g. automotive. It really has no
bearing on a discussion of alternating current house wiring.

As far as connecting a light to a switch, there are a couple different
ways the wiring can be routed, that will make a difference as to which
color wire should go where; However, in all cases, the current
carrying neutral will connect to the neutral of the light fixture and
is never switched.

Why not get a good DIY book on house wiring? There are several that
do a good job of explaining both safe wiring and safe work practices.
Black and Decker sells a good one.
--
For every complicated, difficult problem, there is a simple, easy
solution that does not work.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -