Posted to alt.home.repair
Ivan Vegvary Ivan Vegvary is offline

Default Where to buy large diameter PVC pipe (14" diameter)

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I'm looking to make a firewood chute into my basement through a window,
and I need to pass down wood size up to 11x13" (the size of my furnace
door).

I was considering a length of something like 14-16" diameter PVC pipe.
Wood slides down PVC very easily and even a slight angle, so I can make
it long, maybe 15' long. Not sure if one person can handle that kind of
pipe though - how much does it weigh and what kind of wall thicknesses
are available.

I'm in central NJ if anyone knows of a place around here that sells it.

DeanB

Dean, I noticed that one of the posters mentioned that the PVC will scratch.
Possibly. Just wanted to tell you that I once used an 8" by 20 foot PVC to
deliver pea gravel to my basement. Borrowed it from a contractor and
returned it when I was done. I put 18 cubic yards (that's a lot) through
that pipe over a four day period. Sure was faster than carrying it down in
5 gallon buckets. I think your idea of sending firewood through the pipe is
wonderful and should work out for you.

Ivan Vegvary