Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Outlet wiring, does color matter?

wrote:
When wiring up normal 3-prong outlets, does it matter if I switch the
black and white wires on a single outlet in the run?

I've heard the polarity doesn't matter...but want to make sure I'm not
going to short it out or something else horrible.

Also, when wiring up lights, does it matter which color wire I run to
the switch? Most of the how-to articles show cutting the white
wire...does it make any difference?

KUDOS to you for checking and to all who responded with such good advice to
the OP.

It sounds like a trip to your local library or a related web site would do
you a world of good. The basics aren't that complicated and you might get
on well. Just don't get over-confident and assume you know things you don't
yet - always find out for sure, like you did here.
Electricity can be very deadly and can cause nearly instantaneious death
in some circumstances, so knowing the basics is essential.

And, the MOST BASIC RULE OF ALL, IMO at least: NEVER WORK ON A CIRCUIT WITH
Then after you kill the power, CHECK to be sure the wires you're going to
work on are actually dead! A switch is NOT the right way to turn off power;
it has to be done at the breaker box or fuse box, whichever you have.

Pop`