Posted to alt.home.repair
GreatArtist GreatArtist is offline

Default Galvanized steel pipes - tighten how much?

I had to install a new kitchen faucet. After I removed the old faucet,
the galvanized steel nipples were too damaged from corrosion so I
removed them. Then I put in new nipples, using teflon paste. How tight
am I supposed to tighten them? Am I supposed to keep turning until it's
very hard to turn or what? So far I only tighted them enough to not
leak, because I didn't want to damage the old galvanized steel pipes,
which are very old. The amount of force I had to use was not very much
(using a vice grip).