Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default DVD on Dell Laptop

Jumpster Jiver wrote in news:45620E6A.3020902
@no.spam.today:

Sarah wrote:
Hello, can anyone help with what to do if certain DVDs don't play on my
Dell Inspiron 640m laptop. VCDs and some DVDs ok. Thanks! Sarah

First check that you have the latest drivers, and reinstall if necessary.
However... chances are the drive is bad. If you are able to
disassemble it you can try cleaning the lens, but your best bet is to
replace the drive.
You can buy any brand drive - it doesn't have to be dell brand.

I think you missed the fact that it is a laptop computer.

1) She doesn't need to disassemble in order to clean the lense.
2) It is unlikely that another brand drive will fit. It is even unlikely
that the drive from another model dell will fit.
She COULD get an external drive.
She could check with dell for price of a replacement drive
She could look for a junker of the same model and hope the cd drive is
good.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.