Posted to rec.woodworking
Eugene Eugene is offline

Default Cheap Routers are Expensive

Leon wrote:

"J T" wrote in message
Mon, Nov 20, 2006, 5:25pm (EST+5) (Leon)
doth sayeth:
I had a couple with the problem. The problem was with the bit slipping
in the collet not the height adjustment slipping.

I had that problem too, when I first started using mine. Turned
out it was caused by bottoming the bit. Now I bottom the bit, then
raisie it maybe 1/8", no more bit slipping.

You saying that, in just that way, now makes me wonder if part, if
not all, of the so-called "self-adjusting" problems aren't just the bit
slipping.

That may well be the case, however in my case I was fortunate. The bit
would slide deeper into the collet. I just had to readjust and do it
again.

Mine had both.
It was a $99 plunge router but the plunge lock would slip a little in harder
wood so I had add another nut to the depth stop and lock the depth with the
nuts tightened on top and bottom.
Then it would let the bit slip a little bit in the collett, sometimes up,
sometimes down. It didn't have the second nut so you could tighten the
collett with two wrenches, just a motor lock in the top of the router and
one nut on the collett. I would get a wrench on the collett and lock the
motor and bearhug the router trying to get the collett tightened enough to
prevent slipping but it would still slip. I managed to get it tight enough
to make the motor lock stick, I would have to smack it hard to lock or
unlock, must have slightly bent the locking mechanism and the bit still
slipped.
I ruined enough wood to pay for the PC router so I went and bought one and
ebay'ed the craftsman and was honest and said the lock sticks and the
collett slips and the plunge lock slips and still got a few $ for it.
The PC router has a shaft lock because all the magazines who review routers
instead of using them think its necessary but if they ever used one they
would know you can't get enough leverage holding the router in one hand and
a wrench in the other so it still has the double nut collar, hold two
wrenches with the handles slightly apart in one hand and squeeze them
together and the bit is locked tight and doesn't move.