Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

Default Radiator Benders

"Alho" wrote in message

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:42:41 -0000 someone who may be "Vortex"
wrote this:-

Basically they were standard "Warmastyle" round top rads which had been
cut
(top and bottom - on the outward face), bent, welded and repainted.

I don't recall it being expensive, and it was a competent job.

A house that used to be in the family had a double panel radiator
which had been modified in much the same way, with an angled bit at
each end in order to fit into a bay window. Certainly a neat and
competent job which lasted for 30 odd years between installation and
the time the house was sold.

The alternative of using three radiators, which has been outlined by
another poster, is another way of doing much the same thing by DIY.
However, with increased insulation such things are less necessary in
many houses.

In a house currently in the family the two bow windows have single
panel radiators, which have been rolled to the correct radius.
Obviously they don't have convector fins on the back. I assume there
are still places capable of rolling things into curves. They look
rather pleasing, just as the bay window radiator did, because they
are obviously made specially for the job.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Arthur

Look at

/www.plumbingpages.com/featurepages/Bendandcurve.cfm

Also

I recently had a 80 inch (old money) curved by a firm in north london (Ace
Engineering), suprisingly it only cost £42.00 + vat. This firm also bends
rads by cutting and rewelding. My rad was only with them for 48 hours and
came back in the required shape and resprayed. All from a template made
from lining paper.

Worth trying you local metalwork/engineering firms.

Alec

Not a bad idea.