Posted to alt.home.repair
6zbeast via HomeKB.com 6zbeast via HomeKB.com is offline

Default Electrical in Old House for Low Voltage Fixture

Would any of this affect whether the low voltage light I'm trying to instal
works? The old light worked just fine, and went on and off with the switch.
It had the same three wires as the new low voltage light. I have no idea why,
if the white wire is always "hot" the light did not stay on constantly.
Somehow it all worked before.

Mark Lloyd wrote:
That wiring is not unusual. It is proper to do it either way.

I think you misunderstood him. He's got a switched neutral, which is not
proper and dangerous

Somehow, I get the idea that the switch is connected to the correct
(black) wire, but the connections to the source are wrong, making the
white wire hot.

I was hoping somebody could help. I have installed a low voltage
fixture in my hallway and I can't seem to get it to work. The house

[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]
little, it is getting voltage. Have you checked the bulb(s)?