Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Electrical in Old House for Low Voltage Fixture

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:58:11 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

6zbeast via HomeKB.com wrote:
What is a switched neutral? I know that in the light fixture, there
is a white and black wire. The ground wire is attached to the metal
box. The white wire is always charged, even if the switch is turned
off.

That should not be if it were properly wired and measured. However, as
I recall a white wire may be use between the fixture and a switch, but I
believe it should be one the switched side of the switch (it should not be
hot when the switch was off)

White is used between the power source and the switch (always hot).
Black is used from the switch, probably so you get the correct colors
at the fixture.

I'd rather have all the wires in the switch box, rather than a switch
loop. It's more versatile.

and I believe it also is suppose to be marked
at each end.

It should. I expect a lot to not be marked. I've seen a lot in this
house (built around 1969). None were marked. (They also used 10/2
Romex for the 240V circuits, and didn't mark the white as red).

I would have to look it up if I were to need to wire a switch
like this.

There is only one switch that controls that light. I know at
least two other lights in the house have the same set up (because I
dumbly turned off only the switch when I changed the first light in
the house, and got shocked. Then I bought the voltometer, and when I
changed the second light learned that it had charge as well, as an
experiment and then turned off the power at the breaker which I
always do now).

RBM wrote:
That wiring is not unusual. It is proper to do it either way.

I think you misunderstood him. He's got a switched neutral, which is
not proper and dangerous

I was hoping somebody could help. I have installed a low voltage
fixture in my hallway and I can't seem to get it to work. The
house
[quoted text clipped - 21 lines]
I would have to guess that if the transformer is buzzing, even a
little, it is getting voltage. Have you checked the bulb(s)?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin