Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Electrical in Old House for Low Voltage Fixture

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 09:59:01 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

That wiring is not unusual. It is proper to do it either way.

I think you misunderstood him. He's got a switched neutral, which is not
proper and dangerous

Somehow, I get the idea that the switch is connected to the correct
(black) wire, but the connections to the source are wrong, making the
white wire hot.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
6zbeast wrote:
I was hoping somebody could help. I have installed a low voltage
fixture in my hallway and I can't seem to get it to work. The house
is old, and the wiring is always a surprise. Many light fixtures,
including this one, have voltage in the box even when the switch is
turned off (learned this the hard way with the first light I replaced
in the house). Seems like the power runs through the fixture down to
the swich, instead of the reverse. I don' t know if this would make
a low voltage light not work. Maybe the transformer is just
defective. When I turn it on, I can barely hear the transformer
making a slight buzz sound, but the lights don't light up. I also
thought it might be the track, but I've inspected it and it seems
okay. I've even tried reverse wiring it, still no luck.

Any ideas?

That wiring is not unusual. It is proper to do it either way.

Someone needs to measure the voltage at the transformer (voltage in and
voltage out). Remember that using a digital meter can result in measuring
AC voltages that are really not there. For this kind of work a older
analog meter is better. The voltage has to be measured at each connection
until you find one that is dead.

I would have to guess that if the transformer is buzzing, even a
little, it is getting voltage. Have you checked the bulb(s)?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin