Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Electrical in Old House for Low Voltage Fixture

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:45:15 GMT, "6zbeast via HomeKB.com"
u29345@uwe wrote:

I checked each of the bulbs, and they are okay. Since there are 5, and it is
new, I would expect at least one of them to work. I have an analoge voltage
meter. I'm just not sure what setting to put it on to check the track.

Try the 300VAC range. If it shows a low reading, reduce the range
until the pointer reads over 1/3 scale.

Joseph Meehan wrote:
I was hoping somebody could help. I have installed a low voltage
fixture in my hallway and I can't seem to get it to work. The house

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]

Any ideas?

That wiring is not unusual. It is proper to do it either way.

Someone needs to measure the voltage at the transformer (voltage in and
voltage out). Remember that using a digital meter can result in measuring
AC voltages that are really not there. For this kind of work a older analog
meter is better. The voltage has to be measured at each connection until you
find one that is dead.

I would have to guess that if the transformer is buzzing, even a little,
it is getting voltage. Have you checked the bulb(s)?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin