Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Electrical in Old House for Low Voltage Fixture

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:42:55 GMT, "6zbeast via HomeKB.com"
u29345@uwe wrote:

Thanks! I have a voltage meter, one of the analog ones. I will have to test
it. Now a dumb question. Regular voltage in a house is AC 120 right?

I've heard people say 110, 115, 117, 118, 120, and 125. The actual
voltage should be in that range. I measure almost exactly 120VAC here.

Older people are more likely to say 110.

Does
the low voltage transformer change it to DC?

A transformer requires AC, and can change the voltage. It does not
convert it to DC. That requires additional circuitry. That is unlikely
to be there, since most lights (other than LEDs) will work with AC.

And it it DC 5, 10 or 20?

12VAC seems common, but I haven't looked at that many. The LV system I
have is 12VAC. Some may use 24VAC.

RBM wrote:
With the switch "on", you have to test the terminals of the track to see if
you have 120 volts. If you do, the issue is with the transformer or fixture,
if not, it would be an open circuit, possibly at the switch

I was hoping somebody could help. I have installed a low voltage fixture
in

[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]

Any ideas?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin