Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default Cold shower

In article , says...
Unless I've misread, you say the faucet worked, but now performance has
degraded. That would seem to indicate that recently something has been
misadjusted, clogged, or broken.

Yes, something's changed. But what? There isn't much in line that
wouldn't also affect the other bathroom.

I think you said you recently put in ball valves. My suggestion would
be that you go through the entire system and insure the valves are in
the proper position, whether it be open or closed. If there is another
faucet on this supply line, for example, having a valve that should be
closed open can allow bleeding of cold into the downstream hot, giving
downstream tepid water. I suggest doing this first, as it is simplest.

Yes, I mentioned this. I shut everything else off and no joy.
This line is the only one I haven't yet added ball valves to.

If that doesn't work, I would close the ball valves leading the the tub
(both hot and cold), remove the faucet valve assembly, then turn on the
hot using the ball valve. That can be messy, so be prepared. If you
get a full stream of hot, then you know the problem is somewhere in the
faucet; check for a blocked filter or an error in your installation of
the replacement. Good luck.

That's not easy to do since I'd have to add the ball valves to this
line. I have them, but haven't installed them yet. This is a good
idea though. If everything is shut off except that hot then there
is no chance of intermixing and then the flow rate would tell me
something, even without pulling the cartridge.

Perhaps a call to Moen might be in order...

Thanks all!

--
Keith