Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Solid Counter top for the DIY

You seem to be missing the point. My request, and others have voiced
the same, is for there to be a source for solid surface material for
those who feel competent to use same without any liability to the
seller or to you at all. Get it. No, I repeat, no liability to the
manufacturer or to any local installers. None.

Now if I screw it up, how is that going to affect the reputation of
the material?

Uhuh... I can hear it now: "it is wonderful material, but because I
overlooked a few small details, I made a mess of my installation. I
really must learn not to be so overconfident of my abilities." " I
suggest you buy a countertop just like the one I screwed up, but have
Rob build it for you this time.
..
..
..
That's a likely scenario, eh?

If anything it would improve the status of the pro as a
source for installed countertops. Others would see that the "amateur"
messed up the job in his house, so they better go with a pro. Of
course, I don't see that happening, but whatever.

*I* DO see that happening. I see that happening to guys who are in the
business. There is always somebody who thinks they know it better/all
and will take a shortcut "because how important can it be." Some of
those work for some of the fabricators. Not for long, mind you, but
they do.

So discount to
the liscenced pro and sell at a higher price to the amateur. That's
what everybody else does.

You got it. I buy a sheet for $ 1000.00 and sell it for $
2000.00...installation is free. PLUS you get the warranty thrown in.

My original contention is the same, they do it to keep the prices up.

In the big urban centres, many fabricators overlap. Competition is
fierce. They're paying big rent, big wages, they need to make a healthy
profit to stay alive. All they need now, is to start talking to some
yokel who doesn't want to pay a fair price, "because he can do it
cheaper himself." And when you tell him to go take a hike, it is called
price-fixing. What I call it, is an unwillingness to spend my time
having to deal with a schmuck who doesn't think I deserve to make a
****ing living. Did you get THAT?

I am pretty passionate about this issue. This doesn't live on the same
plane as woodworking, when a guy can create his own interpretation of
art... a hobby... We're talking about a guy who wants to own a quality
product, but is too cheap to allow a fabricator to send his kid to
camp. Ohhhh... I support that...right.. remove the product from the
cycle that allows a hardworking, loyal qualified fabricator to make a
living. Ya nuts??

It is becoming obvious that everybody wants it, but nobody wants to
pay. Front row seats at an Eagles concert for 25 cents.

If you can't afford an Audi... buy a Volkwagen. Live within your means.

r--- who's pretty much had enough of this thread as it has become
obvious that Voltaire was right.