Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clint Sharp Clint Sharp is offline

Default Lights with low heat output

In message , Owain
writes
wrote:
Yes, Ian, I had the same thought about mounting. With regards to a low
volt + low heat strip light though, which would you suggest I take a
look at?. There seem to be a few LED strips and that's all.

It shouldn't be hard to find a small fluoroescent fitting in a caravan
accessories shop, and 12-14V power supplies are readily available for
running car electronics / radio equipt off the mains.

Umm, no. You can get a nasty shock off a 12v fluorescent because they
usually use a step-up circuit to generate high enough voltages to get
the tube to strike and run, strike voltage can be around 600v and
running voltage is usually high enough to be dangerous if you touch the
wrong bit.

The cable between the two will need to be rated for the current at 12V
and is not necessarily safer than mains if damaged, because the high
current availability can lead to arcing.

Owain

--
Clint Sharp