Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture
jerryl jerryl is offline

Default HGTV Dream House questions

"SteveF" wrote in message

Personally, I'm getting kind of jaded about most of these home improvement
shows. We have "Sell this House" where the folks coming in and being
filmed by "hidden cameras" are all wearing microphones. Then we have
"Flip this House" where they start out the show with "We just bought this
house at auction without seeing it first and it looks like it's in much
worse shape than we were hoping". Give me a break - these people are
supposed to be experienced professionals and they buy a property sight
unseen. My favorite was when they buy a property out of town "This will
be tough because we don't know any contractors or anyone in real estate"
and are trying to get contractors coming out of Home Depot yet manage to
get together a full crew that can start work the next day.

Give me Norm and Tom any day.

And I love when the give the purchase price, money paid to upgrade the house
and the projected profit.
Where is the real estate agents fee for selling the house? How's about taxes
that have to be paid on the profit? Where's the interest paid on the short
term mortgages? Where's the insurance fees? In most cases I see a 'break
even' or even worse.