Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default Chimney Pointing

Handi wrote:
One of my chimneys is in a sad state of repair. Motar and pieces of brick
are missing in spots. Would it be that difficult for me to repair my own
chimney or should I call a professional to repoint it?

Its a bit late in the year for it now, the weather is getting colder. This
is a project I'm planning for next spring.

Handi

Pieces of brick missing would lead me to suspect improper choice of
brick. Apparently some are not suitable for such exterior use- water
penetrates and freezes, splitting the bricks. I've seen a large
memorial
in E. Norwalk CT literally pulverized that way.