Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default "Twisty" fluorescent bulbs

---MIKE--- wrote:
These bulbs are supposed to last much longer than incandescent types. I
have had several of them give up the ghost way too soon (the last was a
Philips brand). Has anyone else had this problem?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Only one of dozens has failed me in 5-7 years, a "Lights of America" or

some-such no-name. Of course, I use them wherever a light would not
be short-cycled- where it would be left on for some time, or off.
Bottom
line: only bathrooms now have incandescents.

True, the one on the porch can take a while to get to full output. Not
problem to me.

Meanwhile, each succeeding generation of them seems better than
the previous.

I tried some 40W reflector incandescents in some recessed fixtures;
their longevity was a few months, on average. Maybe resulting from
slight vibration walking on floor above?