Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture
SteveF SteveF is offline

Default HGTV Dream House questions

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just watched this episode of Dream House that raised some questions.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_drh/e..._47389,00.html

[snip]

advice, particularly if it is going to save someone major amounts of
wasted time and potential catastrophic injury. So why not on this TV
show?

I think you've got it right about being a TV show and the producers deciding
to "create drama" by having the owners working in a dangerous manner. While
the GC is usually responsible for job site safety and OSHA compliance, there
are probably pages of contracts and releases involved with something like
this.

Personally, I'm getting kind of jaded about most of these home improvement
shows. We have "Sell this House" where the folks coming in and being filmed
by "hidden cameras" are all wearing microphones. Then we have "Flip this
House" where they start out the show with "We just bought this house at
auction without seeing it first and it looks like it's in much worse shape
than we were hoping". Give me a break - these people are supposed to be
experienced professionals and they buy a property sight unseen. My favorite
was when they buy a property out of town "This will be tough because we
don't know any contractors or anyone in real estate" and are trying to get
contractors coming out of Home Depot yet manage to get together a full crew
that can start work the next day.

Give me Norm and Tom any day.

Steve.