Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Electrical in Old House for Low Voltage Fixture

With the switch "on", you have to test the terminals of the track to see if
you have 120 volts. If you do, the issue is with the transformer or fixture,
if not, it would be an open circuit, possibly at the switch

"6zbeast" u29345@uwe wrote in message news:698cfc67ce9d8@uwe...
I was hoping somebody could help. I have installed a low voltage fixture
in
my hallway and I can't seem to get it to work. The house is old, and the
wiring is always a surprise. Many light fixtures, including this one,
have
voltage in the box even when the switch is turned off (learned this the
hard
way with the first light I replaced in the house). Seems like the power
runs
through the fixture down to the swich, instead of the reverse. I don' t
know
if this would make a low voltage light not work. Maybe the transformer is
just defective. When I turn it on, I can barely hear the transformer
making
a slight buzz sound, but the lights don't light up. I also thought it
might
be the track, but I've inspected it and it seems okay. I've even tried
reverse wiring it, still no luck.

Any ideas?