Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Solid Counter top for the DIY

On 19 Nov 2006 09:04:05 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

Prometheus wrote:

I haven't priced out Corian lately, but if Rob says it's directly
competing with Granite, [snip]

Granite and eStone are more money. The 'direct' competition is in terms
of space.
Something is going to end up on those kitchen and bathroom cabinets.
Being it custom laminate or semiprecious stone, real butcher-block or
stainless steel.
I do not consider post-formed laminate, by the blank, competition; I
don't go there.

Well sure, Rob- but he doesn't want to buy the services of an
installer, and can't buy the product. Looking at a different product
might be the way to go, even if it costs more- I know that if it were
me, I wouldn't hire someone for a DIY job, no matter how much better
that pro may be- so I hope you're not taking it as an attempt to lose
you business.

The competition is for space and if you look at my web-site, you'll see
that I have those bases covered too. Solid surface is a nice stepping
stone between custom laminate and granite/eStone.

When buying slabs of granite, make sure you get a good grade, because
many 'look' the same, but can be full of fissures. Blue Pearl, for
instance, can range from $ 900 to $ 1900 for a 5 x 10 slab from the
same supplier. If you hang a sheet, and hit it with a mallet, it should
ring like big bell. If it doesn't, run like hell.

Well, that's good advice, and something I didn't know. But will they
hang it for you to do a test like that?

Maybe Mr, Clarke should look at concrete. That he can buy anywhere,
assuming he doesn't open his mouth first.

Can't you feel the love?