Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default Buying a Jointer

"mcgyver" wrote in message
news:4J68h.344127$R63.324123@pd7urf1no...
Oops sorry....6" x 30-35" bed. Ok for 220v in shop, dust collector system
hooked up to the one I have. Guess I'm just after a longer bed to be able
to do longer boards and while buying that thought there may be other thing
i should be looking for. thanks

You should be thinking of whether you want or need. As your fellow Canadian
has said in his response, boards over 6" are usually ripped to escape
cupping. As I say, boards over 70" are seldom used, which is why a 35" bed
is more than enough, and more comfortable in a small shop. You can join
longer, of course, and it's really not the jointer that will get in the way
of a good join, but the operator, who will have to control the flopping
board. If you're moving up from an aluminum benchtop screamer to an iron
induction machine, you can expect to get batter performance and
repeatability in the same width class.

Up at the college we had a 16 with a six or seven foot bed on it. Seems you
can have the "best" and do poorly, because some Nimrod was always just
slapping a board on the table without sighting and pressing without paying
attention to tipping if the piece was twisted.

Why the policy is to account for wood in the rough, not the finish. Lots of
thin stuff created at the jointer. Narrower than required too, as they
chased the bow.... Never could figure why someone would join a six foot by
six inch board on a 16" jointer when there was a six available.