Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default 600 C-9 light bulbs

In , wrote:
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 04:00:54 +0000 (UTC),
(Don
Klipstein) wrote:

First problem I found - C9 bulbs consume more than 7 watts, and I have
the impression of traditionaly 10 watts!

I was really thinking "9" in C-9 was the watts but the way they rate
things these days I wouldn't bet on anything. I doubt the quality
control is that precise to start with. The safest bet is 3 circuits if
you can come up with another 20 amps somewhere.

C9 is a designation of bulb style/shape and diameter, and not wattage.

C means "candle flame shape". The "9" means maximum overall diameter,
in 1/8ths of an inch (meaning 1.125 inches).

C9, A19 and things along these refer to bulb shape/diameter.

There is a letter designation for bulb shape, and a number designation
of bulb diameter in 1/8's of an inch.

A has 2 stories behind it, 1 saying "arbitrary" and 1 meaning "average".
A lingering story is that "average" is between "PS" (see below) and "S"
(see below).

B is supposedly "Blister", but some sort of oval shape.

C means "candle flame" shape.

E means ellipsoidal.

F means a flame shape - maybe more bottom-fat than C.

G means globular/spherical.

GTL means an incandescent penlight bulb having a short tube protruding
from a spherical bulb with the short tube having a lens.

K is some specific reflectorized bulb design that I sense as being good
for more compact incandescents.

PAR means "Parabolic Aluminized Reflector" - traditionally a narrower
beam spotlight.

PS is "pearshape" - usually a higher wattage bulb that has a tubular
"neck" between the base and the "main bulb portion".

R means "reflectorized bulb" - usually a floodlight or spotlight design.

S is a shape more common for some automotive types of bulbs and some
more ancient designs of bulbs - "S" means "straight-sided" - like an "ice
cream cone".

T means any of a significant variety of tubular shapes, for both
"single-end" and "double end" lightbulbs! May include some Philips ones
from production lines previously owned by Westinghouse, as well as
whatever else (bigtime available) is "T-bulb"!

- Don Klipstein )