Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to buy large diameter PVC pipe (14" diameter)

In article .com,
dean wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking to make a firewood chute into my basement through a window,
and I need to pass down wood size up to 11x13" (the size of my furnace
door).

I was considering a length of something like 14-16" diameter PVC pipe.
Wood slides down PVC very easily and even a slight angle, so I can make
it long, maybe 15' long. Not sure if one person can handle that kind of
pipe though - how much does it weigh and what kind of wall thicknesses
are available.

I'm in central NJ if anyone knows of a place around here that sells it.

DeanB

If you're open to alternatives how about an open design like a coal
chute, basically a sliding board. Less likely to jam than pipe and
easily cleared if it does.

Anyway, ASTM D1785 "Standard Specification for Poly(Vinyl Chloride)
(PVC) Plastic Pipe" lists 16" sched 40 PVS as 16" OD, 0.5" wall
thickness, and 154 lbs per 10 ft length
--
For every complicated, difficult problem, there is a simple, easy
solution that does not work.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -