Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E C & E is offline

Default What to do with water shutoff valves and water heater when on vacation?

"mtco" wrote in message
Suppose you are going away for 10 days, what should you do to the water
shutoff valves and the water heater in the house? I've seen
recommendations that you set the house thermostat at 55 F and the water
heater to "vacation" -- if the setting is available.

But what about the water shutoff valves? Is it safe/wise to close the main
water shutoff valve? Will the water heater overheat because there is no
water pressure, even when it's set to "vacation"?

Here's a number of "trouble scenarios" I've thought of, but I may be
missing something:

1. Water heater leaks and dumps a large amount of water onto the drip pan,
overflowing the latter and causing damage to the floor.

2. House loses power and pipes get frozen (and cracked). Cracked pipes
floods the house when the power returns and the pipes unfrozen.

3. (Described above) Main water shutoff closed. Water heater overheats
because there is not water pressure.

Should I close the main water shutoff valve, as well as the shutoff valves
to the appliances, BUT open the faucets to allow freezing water some room
to expand, just in case the pipes got frozen?

Any thoughts?

One of the biggest sources of insurance claims is ruptured washing machine
hoses. All you need to do there is turn off the valves and then turn the
machine on for just a couple seconds to relieve the pressure on the lines.