Posted to alt.home.repair
6zbeast 6zbeast is offline

Default Electrical in Old House for Low Voltage Fixture

I was hoping somebody could help. I have installed a low voltage fixture in
my hallway and I can't seem to get it to work. The house is old, and the
wiring is always a surprise. Many light fixtures, including this one, have
voltage in the box even when the switch is turned off (learned this the hard
way with the first light I replaced in the house). Seems like the power runs
through the fixture down to the swich, instead of the reverse. I don' t know
if this would make a low voltage light not work. Maybe the transformer is
just defective. When I turn it on, I can barely hear the transformer making
a slight buzz sound, but the lights don't light up. I also thought it might
be the track, but I've inspected it and it seems okay. I've even tried
reverse wiring it, still no luck.

Any ideas?