Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field ian field is offline

Default Sharp EL5100 calculator.

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message
In article ,
"ian field" wrote:

If its a Sharp, simply google for it there are people out there selling
spares but at inflated prices! My EL5100 has a little bit of sentimental
value because it was a present from a relative when I started college,
and I
quite like the 10 or so memories that can store 80 term formulas, but I
have
plenty of other calculators that do most things I need and I didn't like
the
look of the Sharp spares prices.

Ian-

I see what you mean. However, I was only able to find two places that
listed the part (VVLLF8034XE-1). One, bigwarehouse.com.au, listed it
for $97.25. I assume this is in Australian dollars.

The other, Partstore.com, listed it as "not available". They have a
reverse-lookup that shows the display is also used in the EL506D
calculator, which I happen to have. Sadly, the EL506D display is about
half as long as the one on the EL5100.

A year or two back, I was able to obtain a user manual for a Sharp
microwave by calling a number in South Florida. Perhaps I can locate a
display by following that route. Or maybe not, at that kind of price!

Fred

Refusing to believe I could be so unlucky as to get a leaky LCD, I started
to wonder if LCDs "stagnate" if left for a long time - maybe the liquid
crystals start to align together in a way that blocks light, the fact that
the LCD seems to have cleared round the arrow that shows LH display
overflow, this area had been particularly badly affected.
It may be my imagination or wishful thinking, but the clouded area seems to
have receded slightly after leaving the calculator on top of one of the HiFi
speakers for a couple of days and playing a Black Sabbath CD on repeat all
24/7.