Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default Cold shower

In article .com,
says...

krw wrote:
The shower in my master bathroom is no longer staying hot. It's
hot enough for me if the knob is all the way over to the hot side,
but not hot enough for my wife. I used to set the handle to more
or less the center, so something has changed. The downstairs
shower and all the rest of the faucets are fine so I don't think
it's the boiler (domestic coil).

I've replaced the cartridge in the Moen mixing/diverter valve (the
Moen site said either a 1220 or 1225 - I used a 1225) but the
problem remains. I've been told that a hot-cold transfer is
possible at any faucet so I've tried shutting off the supply to
them; nope. I would have thought this would affect all faucets
anyway. Any ideas?

--
Keith

hello Keith,

I would try seeing what hot water flow rate you get at the shower.

Put a small bucket under the shower and run only the hot water for a
timed minute .

That will show you if there is some constriction problem.

I'll do that, though there doesn't seem to be a problem with the
sink in that bath (I'll try that too just to make sure).

It can't be a constriction after the mixing valve (would be the
same as a "saver" shower head) or before the split to the sink
(assuming the hot isn't a problem there). There is only about a
two foot long piece of 1/2" copper inbetween (the connection is
directly under the head-end of the tub).

Do the same for the cold water to compare.

If you get very hot water from another faucet its not a heater problem.

--
Keith