Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default After flushing toilet, it fills again, it leaks water until I open lid and pull that ball little up

On 19 Nov 2006 08:43:39 -0800, "GS" wrote:

Guys,

Recently my toilet chain was broken, I got new chain and fixed it,
since then After flushing toilet, it fills that tank again, then it
leaks water until I open lid and pull that ball upwards littelbit, how
to fix this?. I want to Home depot, he was telling, I have to replace
the whole tank, but issue is, as soon as I open lid and pull that rod
(with ball) upward littlebit, then water leak stops, can somebody
suggest me what to do, how to fix this?. Thanks in advance.

You said "It leaks down". I assume you have a old fashioned rubber
flapper type flush valve. You probable disturbed its natural seating
when you replaced the chain. Hence the leak.

Pulling up on the float just closes the fill valve but as long as you
" leak by" it will open again. Two things will correct the problem.

The lazy way: Remove the flapper and clean the crud off of it and
the seat and then replace. The best way: Replace the flapper with a
quality red flapper by Korky or some other manufacturer that will give
it a five year warranty. All flappers are not created equal. Stick
with a quality one. Remember to clean the seat before you install the
new flapper.