Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] juicymixx@mailinator.com is offline

Default "call for heat" in my carrier furnace?

Art Todesco wrote:
wrote:
Hey guys,

We just moved to a new home with a Carrier 58PAV up-flow gas furnace.
The furnace checked out fine before we moved in, so I'm not sure if the
way that it's currently operating is normal (and it works in a way I
don't expect), or if something is wrong:

Say the temperature in my house is 68 degrees, and the thermostat is
set to HEAT at 71 degrees. Well, the furnace stats circulating the
air (that is, air is moving through the system and into the house so
the blower fan turns on), however it's just the ambient temperature
(whatever temp it is in my garage and ducts - but not hot/warm). So,
effectively I have this cool breeze blowing through my home! If I set
my thermostat up to 90 degrees, then the burners click on and start
heating the air. I'm not sure why the 'call for heat' isn't heating
for low differences in temperature..?

am I totally nuts? Thanks in advance for your help...!

This is the way some/many of the newer
units work. I hate it. It's dumb..
My 18 year old 90+% recouperative unit
doesn't turn the blower on
until the plenum gets hot. AND, even
then, for a second or two, you
feel the cold draft.

So... This is 'normal' operation? I have to set the thermostat up to
90+ degrees to get any warmth? Grrr..! The other night we had the
thermostat set to 71 degrees, and the outdoor temp got to the mid to
low 60's - I'm fairly certain that the system just circulated the air
throughout the night (that is, it didn't warm the air, just that cool
breeze all night). However when I woke up (shivering - indoor temp
was below 70 degrees) and pushed it up to 90+, the house got warm
pretty quick...(then, of course, I turned the system off...)

Is there something I can set/change to change this? As I mentioned
before, the furnace is a Carrier 58PAV up-flow. Also, my thermostat
is made by Totaline - although I'm not sure of the type, it seems
pretty low end...

Thanks again!